Wednesday, October 7, 2009

colour.

The weather today has turned windy and rainy, but it makes it nice to be indoors by the fireplace, with a book, some tea, and the socks that I've begun to knit.

It's Susie's birthday today, so B and I went into town this morning to buy presents and groceries for a Chocolate Banana Cake and mulled wine. We stopped into a hand-craft shop, where this beautiful wall of ribbons was found. Then we came back as the weather turned nasty, and he's working outside with wood and metal to make his mom an armadillo to hang on the wall (sounds weird, but it's looking cool.) I felt so cliche, he was sawing and hammering outside as I sat in the kitchen and knitted while the cake was baking.


Those pancakes (yes, they're pancakes) you see up there are amazing. I even burnt and mangled them, and they still tasted amazing. They're these spiced pancakes with carmelized apples from eatmakeread and they tasted perfect for a wind-blown morning.

Speaking of keeping house, I was listening to this episode of This American Life, and totally loved Act 3, where a girl fell in love with Little House on the Prairie and actually makes an homage to the original town where the Ingalls lived, and found it was just as perfect as the books. I loved those books when I was little--I still love them. I dream of living in a little cabin, and drying venison, and woodfires, and playing with dolls in the attic with pumpkins.

We're making mulled wine right now, a lovely mixture of red wine, cloves, cinnamon, sugar, oranges and lemons. Should be nice for a chilly night like tonight.

No comments: